Translate

Friday 25 January 2013

A break from the battle

Gumme Platation field:

My reasoning behind using these type of palm tree is that as the original source books doesn’t describe them and I didn’t want them to look like rubber trees on earth. So I picked these 25mm palms from Minibits in the UK with a blue hint to the leaves.

I’ve been trying to avoid too much green on my version of Mars to keep the look of a dying planet , I’ll leave the green to Venus.

But to avoid greenery all together is very limiting so I’m letting this be the exception to the rule. In their neat rows that don’t give a wild native look either. I put in a few of my work in progress Scots in for scale.A long side is a Venus tester terrain piece.

 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. DLI - absolutely agree with you regarding the greenery in 1889. Only near human habitations would you find imported plants. That said, I'm looking for Date Palms to place near my French outposts.

    Regards,
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith,

    Official maps from the original material show greenery around the city edges and canals.But these are from those either still under human control/influence or have been until recently such as Shastapsh.Fan material for Idaeus Fons shows vineyards so you have more green to play with if wanted.

    The French could have vineyards and orchards etc at any of there settlements with enough water to feed them.Clearly in areas where the land is worked earth plants can grow without too many problems.

    On that note the British have sheep farms (which would require some level of pasture)and even a cricket team.teamss so they are spreading grass seeds about ;)

    Native plants can do with less water apart from maybe liftwood which grows in the mountains which you can assume has water supplies in the form of lakes/springs etc.

    I'll try when possible to use yellows,oragnes,blues and purples when it comes to Mars.I've found a few suppliers for grown plants and for trees it may come to painting leaves?All depends on time as on in the middle of lizard huts at the moment lol

    ReplyDelete